Thursday, January 14, 2010

Stouts!

So, as you all know, I love stouts. I love them almost too much. I love the velvety texture, the rich, smooth flavors, and the tastes of coffee and chocolate. I love everything about them.

But there are so many I haven't even begun to try yet. So I'm making a list, a goal, of the stouts to try, when possible.

This is mostly for my own reference, but feel free to try some and let me know what you think. They're in no other order than the order I spotted them in at my local liquor store. (obviously not included are black ops and chicory stout; they're already on my beers to try in 2010)

1. Allagash Black (Tried it!)
2. Nogne Imperial Stout
3. Moylans Imperial Stout
4. Green Flash Stout
5. Dogfish head worldwide stout ($9 for 12oz? Ouch!)
6. Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (delicious, if a little boring)
7. Samuel Smith Imperial Stout
8. Young's Double Chocolate Stout (Holy chocolate!)
9. Sierra Nevada Stout
10. Bear Republic Big Bear Black Stout
11. Pretty much every canned stout, too many to be named.

Now, I know my focus/interest/obsession with stout is a little odd. I have so many reviews of stouts, but so few of other types. The problem really boils down to this: when I go out, I usually like to try new beers. There is, almost always, at least one stout that I haven't tried yet. I enjoy stout year round, so I'm always going to go for the stout. I also only really like to have one beer, maybe two. This is both because I liked to focus on the flavors, and because beer is expensive, and I am a poor student.

I'm going to try and diversify in the upcoming months, but be warned that I have another four bottles of different stouts to try, so maybe not too soon.

As always, let me know what you think. Have you tried the same beers? Did you agree or disagree? Any beer you're dying to try, or a favorite you'd like to recommend? Let me know!

-The Unabashed Ungourmet

5 comments:

  1. If you can find it check out the Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout or really any coffee stout. They are the only stouts I like.

    -Kady

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya I like their Espresso Stout and thier White Ale is very good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to try Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch, but it is pricey...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I've heard the beer geek brunch is supposed to be really good, but I don't know anywhere local that carries it.

    Plus, as above, whenever I go out, I almost always end up getting a stout :-P

    ReplyDelete