Sunday, January 10, 2010

Holy Bock

It sat on the shelf, in a black bottle, with a silver label. It looked like all the bombers surrounding it, except it was at least twice the price of any of them.

Chocolate Bock. It didn't even sound like an interesting beer. No catchy name or gimmicky title. But still, Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock haunted my dreams. I saw it for the first time at my local liquor store over thanksgiving, and have been dying to try it ever since.

I was worried that I was too hyped up for it though. That it couldn't possibly match my expectations. My friend, Captain Theater echoed my concerns. Samuel Adams is good, he reasoned, but he's never been truly wowed by them. I don't entirely agree, being a devotee of their imperial stout, their scotch ale, and their white ale, but I saw his point.

How wrong we were.

It was delicious. Now, I've looked up other reviews, and they seem to disagree, but I can't bring myself to care. The body is light and smooth, more like a black lager or maybe even an ale. I should've expected that from a Bock, but it looks and smells like a stout.

The flavor is delicious Swiss milk chocolate - very creamy. It has some nice coffee flavors and some malt taste, as well as some light nutty features and a delicate sweetness.

It ruined the rest of the beers we were enjoying. It made us crave for more. It haunts me even now. This beer is fantastic, and you should go drink some now, despite the curse it lays upon all other beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment