Friday, January 15, 2010

New Horizons

Scotch ale is delicious. It might be second, as a favorite beer, to stouts. It has all the interesting flavors, but is light and refreshing. Mmmmm Scotch Ale.

Needless to say, this is an intro to me trying another such beer. Trying to broaden my horizons, I grabbed a bottle of Moylan's Scotch Ale (passing up a whole laundry list of likely looking stouts, sadly)

Now, I drank this just before watching Memento for the first time, so those who've seen the movie will know what I mean when I say that my memories of the evening are more devoted to the film. It is a real mindfuck.

Anyway, the beer. It pours a beautiful red-amber, with a small head. It smells of smoke and peat, and the taste follows suit. Very smoky flavor, with hints of peat, but also some sort of sweet dark fruit, and a little bit of what I feel like is oakiness. It has a really complex flavor array, so it was sometimes tough to separate them out.

The flavor was very strong, and might not be for everyone. My friend, whom I was drinking it with, applied the term "interesting" and then didn't touch it for the rest of the night.

If you like Scotch Ale's, give this a try; if not, don't bother with this beast of a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment