Monday, January 18, 2010

Satisfaction at last

And here I was, bemoaning my fate. I occasionally forget that although my favorite local liquor store is exceptionally well stocked, I'm lucky to have another 3 or 4 local places with an excellent selection of beer.

In this case, Dogfish Head's Chicory Stout. I've talked enough about my misfortunes, my desire to try it and my inability. Well, Napoleon and myself were heading out to get a christmas gift, Sam Adams Imperial Stout. But what vision appeared before my eyes? None other than the coveted chicory stout.

Oh and it was good. Yikes. Stronger flavors than a lot of stouts, much stronger and more like espresso, it had power tastes (as promised) of chicory and of spicy mexican coffee.

It was a little too bitter at first, but as it warmed the coffee taste mellowed and meshed with the chicory and spicy flavor (cinnamon? red pepper? Not quite sure)

Not for the weak of heart, this is a serious stout that is adventurous and tries something new. For stout fans I'd say it's a must, but not exactly the usual party drink. It was nice to sip with some friends while watching football, and I could also see it being a delicious desert beer, but it feels pretty situational.

No comments:

Post a Comment