Monday, October 5, 2009

Playing catch up...

So, the freaking title of my blog mentions burgers, and yet thus far nary a sentence about what may well be my favorite food. Well, that's all about to change. I realize I wrote a lot of these reviews, then promptly forgot to post them. I've got a good bit of catch up to do, hopefully in somewhat reasonable installments. So, we'll start with the best.

Oh Five Guys. How do I even begin?

The first time I tried Five Guys, I was in Washington DC, visiting a friend. I’d heard of this place before, but had never been convenient to try it. Needless to say, I consider that among the top five mistakes I’ve made in my entire life.
The first thing that strikes you is that this place isn’t run by greedy jerks. There are free peanuts, cups for water are free, and they have a list of burger toppers to shame most anywhere, everything from mushrooms to hot sauce.

Being the simple man I am, I order the regular cheeseburger, just lettuce and mayo. Wow. From the first bite you get juicy meat without it tasting greasy or cold. The burger is smashed together with a bun that is spongy (in a good way), and doesn’t fall apart. The cheese is delightfully melted, and the toppings surround the whole thing. The regular cheeseburger is two patties, and more than filling enough, even for a hungry guy like me.

Simply put: this is the best fast food burger I have ever had. And I continue to be impressed. Every time I go to Five Guys, I come away extremely satisfied. They rock. Go there, now. In fact, just writing about them makes me hungry.

P.S. – The Fries. Good god. They deserve their own article. Coming in either regular or Cajun, they take a cup, put it in a bag, and proceed to fill the bag up past the level of the cup, with fries. A regular is good enough for two people; a large can feed as many as four. Or, if you’re a fat kid like me, you can eat them all yourself.

And, since I'm never done talking, I'll even through in a beer review of a variety I got to try recently. I was at my local snobby liquor store, and saw that Dominion had released an Oktoberfest beer. Que Interresante!

Yikes. This was a dark beer. Dominion’s stout, which I worship, doesn’t hold a candle to this inky bastard. It’s a seasonal Marzen, and it lives up to the name with all the flavors of a crisp fall centered around a good balance of hops. A little bitter at points, the overall flavor is very smooth for such a dark beer. I really enjoyed it, but many of my friends find it loathsome, so drink at your own peril. This is definitely more of a sipping beer that needs your full attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment