Monday, October 26, 2009

An aside, and more beer!

So, I promise I'll stick to my format, but a brief side note.

Turkey is a surprisingly easy to use meat. A little healthier than beer (who cares?), and more importantly a little cheaper. It's also a pretty bland meat by itself, so it absorbs other flavors well. It's less fatty, so you'll need to use a little oil or other fat-type-thing to make it adhere while cooking, but it's well worth it. I recently made turkey meatballs and a turkey burger, and they were delicious :-D

Also, sauteing garlic. Tougher than it seems. It needs a much higher temperature, but also burns unfortunately easily. I'm working on ways to make it work, but I'm 0 for 1 on the "throw it and butter into a pan at the same time" idea.

But what do these things have to do with burgers and beer you ask? Nothing! But this is my blog, so suck it. I will occasionally tangent off about whatever cooking thing I'm trying. Feel free to skip it if you are terribly offended.

Back to the point, more catching up!

The first beer I'm recounting was the Three Philosophers beer. I had been aching to try this since I heard about it. I studied a lot of philosophy in college (hahahahah oh god why?), and thought the name was just too funny. Little did I know what I was in store for.
The brewer of this beer, Ommegang, is a New York brewer that makes Belgian style beers. For those who don’t know, they tend to be a bit fruity, a bit spicy, and somewhat strange.
Three philosophers was all of that, in delicious form. The spices were palatable without being overwhelming, and worked well with the fruits to create a very interesting and entirely unique taste. I do not have a complex enough knowledge of beer to appreciate all the flavors, but I can tell you this much: this beer is way smarter than you. The best you can do is acknowledge that, and enjoy it anyway.

Also; a second, and sadly worse beer. This account will discuss a most unusual beer, which has greatly vexed me. I was out at a local bar, and saw that they had a Crème Brule stout. It sounded delicious, and I decided that I needed some. The first sip was fantastic. It smelled like the delicious desert, and I enjoyed it. It was the first beer I tried by Southern Tier, and I was suitably impressed.
But then, alas, it turned on me. The sweet smell became almost cloying, and made the beer taste more and more bitter. Combined with the potent alcohol content (something close to 9%), I was eventually struggling to choke down the bitter, alcoholic beer, all its former glory gone.
It may be my taste buds are just not mature enough yet, but this beer was altogether pretty bad. It started great, but the smell was in too sharp of a contrast to the flavor of the beer itself. A sad, sad day for stout lovers.

1 comment:

  1. So we need to go to Brewer's Art at some point when we have money. That last part I just said is kind of important.

    ReplyDelete