Friday, September 25, 2009

A night out

So, a few nights previous, I had the good fortune of having some friends along with me to Max's Taphouse in Fells Point. For those who don't know, Max's is home to a fantastic selection of beers on tap, most of which are obscure and delicious. I had the good fortune of trying both Birrificio's Del Ducato Verdi, and Brew Dog's Paradox Speyside.

The first beer I tried was the Paradox Speyside. A Scottish Imperial Stout? That was like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Poured from a cask, this beer is matured in brandy casks, and has a whopping 10.5% alcohol by volume. It is a beast of a beer, a credit to the Scotsman who brew it.
First taste is oakey, like many Scottish beers, and somewhat smoky. Unlike many stouts, it is not a sweet taste, but a deep and rich flavor. Impressively, this flavor is what saves it from being overwhelmed by the extreme alcohol content. A glass of this could knock out most of you little girly men, which I why I recommend going with just a sampler.
I can imagine a Scottish man out on the moors, enjoying a glass of this before he goes and kills some English men or something. It is a darn manly beer, and a tasty one too.

As for the Del Ducato...Wow. I really don’t even know where to begin.
I saw this on the menu at Max’s Taphouse, and knew I had to try it. It was from Italy, and called a Chili Stout. I was intimidated, but I had to be brave.
The first taste is cool, dark, chocolately stout. The aftertaste hits then, and it’s a light but very noticeable spiciness. Not like grab a glass of beer spicy (that would be a horrible cycle), but a very gentle awareness of the spicy taste.
I was amazed, as were my friends with me. Just a fascinating and delicious beer. I only had the sampler, but really that’s all that I needed.
If you can ever find it, try it. Love it. Trust me on this one.

Sadly, I'm a poor post-grad and could barely afford these two beauties. More reviews to follow as I get out and try more beers!

No comments:

Post a Comment