Saturday, March 13, 2010

Victoria Gastro Pub

Victoria Gastro Pub is a little restaurant in Columbia MD. It's been here for a few years, and I actually went fairly soon after it opened. But with moving about and it being a fancy place, I haven't been back in years.

It's still as expensive as ever, but damned if that will ever deter me again. They have an excellent beer selection, a nice atmosphere, and ridiculously delicious (and expensive) foods. Particularly their "poutine", or duck fat fries. These delicious fries come out piping hot, covered in duck fat gravy and melted Gruyere cheese. Also there are still pieces of dark meat here and there. Good god there were delicious.

But the food is not all I was drooling about last night. They have an excellent tap selection - everything from Smuttynose Robust Porter, to Troegs Nugget Nectar, to Rogue Morimoto Imperial Pils. But most importantly they had Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

This heavy hitter weighs in at 13% abv and won a god medal at the 2006 world beer cup. I've seen it on numerous other blogs as one of their favorite stouts, so despite many other tempting options, I decided I had to give this bad boy a try.

And wow was I glad I did. It poured black, and smelled of chocolate and vanilla, with a rich cocoa colored head. The first sip is all chocolate, with some smokey caramel. As it mellows, flavors of vanilla and charred oak really emerge, making this beer taste almost like a nice bourbon more than a stout. But it is ever so drinkable, and utterly delicious.

This isn't a desert beer, nor is it a drink during the game with some friends. This is a beer to sit and sip and appreciate. And maybe have a cigar with - something I'm dying to try now. Long story short, if you're a stout man like myself, give this one a try for damn sure.

-The Unabashed Ungourmet

P.S. - Not enough to write a review, but went to a beer tasting. Lagunitas Brown Shugga was very tasty, and their IPA was shockingly drinkable for someone who doesn't love IPAs. Their correction ale was pretty good too, with some citrusy tastes. All in all a good bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment