Thursday, March 11, 2010

Series of Sam (3 of 6)

So, spring break starts tommorow for me, although sadly I feel like I've got more work than ever and may actually spend a good portion of break working. How sad.

But to celebrate my quasi freedom, I decided I'd crack open another Sam Adams. So far I've been 2 for 2 with tasty beers, so I decided to take a risky pick. I chose Sam Adams Coastal Wheat, a heffeweizen with lemon. I admit to having some trepidation coming into this beer, not being a huge fan of Heffe beers.

Overall, not a bad beer. It pours a light amber/golden with a nice head. The smell is all wheat beer. First taste is wheat and spices, with an undertone of lemon. There were times when the beer tasted more like lemon pledge than anything else, but they seemed to be the minority. The lemon really is pretty subtle, but there are nice solid flavors at the end - kind of sweet lemon rind.

I must admit that this isn't really a beer I'm dying to try again. However, that comes with a caveat. I am drinking this beer on a Thursday night, on a warmish March evening. This beer really feels like one should drink it on a hot summer day, especially towards sunset, relaxing and enjoying a cool beer. I really want to try it again in that situation, because it has the potential to be a delicious summer beer.

However, a spring or winter beer it is not. Not bad, but not something I plan to try again soon. As I said above, this week is spring break, so expect some new beers! Assuming my wallet can handle it!

-The Unabashed Ungourmet

No comments:

Post a Comment