Monday, March 22, 2010

Beer in a Can???

It's funny - my first beer was definitely from a can. I don't remember what it was, but I'm sure it was some third rate piss water they serve at college frat parties. Mostly, I imagine, because I had it at a college party.

But the last time I had beer in a can? Well, other than the last time I had Oskar Blues, I'm not even sure. Nice beer doesn't come in cans. Nice beer comes in bottles, and almost always in bombers of some sort. Well, I think Oskar blues is trying to change that.

I had their Ten Fidy stout a few months ago at Max's, and I've been dying to try more since then. A multiple award winner, this beer is 8% abv and has rave reviews. The beer, "Old Chub", is their version of a Scottish Ale.

The beer pours a dark brown, with very little head. The smell is smoke and dark chocolate, and I won't lie, it made my mouth water a little.

The first taste is sweet, but with a smoky aftertaste. Dark chocolate is present, with tastes of earthy sweetness, rounded out with a nice smokiness. A smooth maltiness is present, mixing nicely with the sweet and bitter flavors.

This is a seriously tasty beer, good for sipping, and I imagine nice with some sort of steak or chops. Definitely worth a try.

I certainly don't miss the days of Natty Light and Milluake's Best, but Oskar Blues is giving me a reason to try canned beer again.

1 comment:

  1. please tell me that Ten Fidy costs ten fidy. if it does not I may cry.

    ReplyDelete