Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Series of Sam (2 of 6)

Now, I admit that I like to save the best for last, but I just couldn't resist cracking open one of my favorite beers. It's lost a step or two by comparison to some of the beers I've had since then, but it'll always be a classic.

The first time I had it was at a Superbowl party. My friends had picked up a Sam Adams spring pack, which seemed weird in February. I admit to being a little hesitant at first, but this beer started my appreciation of scotch ales.

Sam Adams Scotch Ale pours a rich amber, without much head. The smell is smokey and rich. The first taste is a an oakiness, followed by tart fruitness and of course delicious smoke. I also swear I can taste some peatiness, but I can't quite pick it out. The best part though, might be the mellow finish.

As scotch ales go, it is a fine exemplar. If you like scotch ales, don't aim too high, but if you're a casual drinker, definitely give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment