Friday, December 4, 2009

Pratt Street Ale House

I think I've figured out why the English seem to enjoy their beers warm. As an American, this is utterly anathema to me, as I truly enjoy the refreshing taste of a well chilled beer. Obviously I don't want it too cold to enjoy, but give me a frosty bottle and I'm happy.

However, I've noticed that when hoppy beers are cold, the hop taste is very pronounced, often a little overwhelming. However, as it's allowed to warm, the hop notes mellow and other flavors emerge. So, considering that the English love their bitter beers, one imagines that a bitter beer at room temperature is much less overwhelmingly bitter, and more balanced.

Of course, I could also be full of shit, never having had a proper English beer.

This comes up because I had some tasty beers tonight at the Pratt Street Ale House. Once called Oliver's, it changed names for some reason. I haven't the faintest why. Oliver's is a staple beer of Baltimore though, available both at the Pratt street house and at The Wharf Rat's in Fell's point. It's one of the few (2?) remaining breweries in the city that doesn't have it's main operation outside the city.

The first beer I tried was their Williams Winter Warmer. I've only recently begun to try winter warmers, and they intrigue me. This one started out with a strong hop note, but had a nice spice flavor to help balance it out. It was a little bitter in the aftertaste, but not overwhelmingly so. It was a very tasty beer that I enjoy more as it warmed (hence my theory above). I'm not sure what the spice note was, but it made me think of nutmeg, clove, or maybe even cinnamon. The spice was a little masked by the hops, but it's definitely something to try again.

I also had their Bishops Breakfast, an oatmeal stout on nitro pour. It was both smooth and creamy, and thus extremely delicious. It tasted very much of coffee and malts, a little sweet but in a good way. I also feel like there were some hints of milk chocolate in there, but that could have been my imagination.

Either way, if you're ever in Baltimore, definitely give the Pratt Street Ale House, or really just Oliver's Beers a try. I promise you, you won't be sorry.

-The Unabashed Ungourmet

No comments:

Post a Comment