Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Scottish Wonder

So, wow. I was buying beer for my formerly mentioned Halloween party, picking up some single bottles to enjoy and just try different things.

I'd tried Belhaven's Scottish Ale before, and was suitably impressed. I saw a 500mL at my local liquor store of their "Scottish Stout". Now, I love Scottish beers and I love stout, so it was a pretty easy decision.

Still, this beer has overwhelmed me and exceeded my expectations. It pours dark, rich black, with a gorgeous tan head. The first taste is a bitter coffee, but it's followed by an almost tangy flavor of smoke and bitter chocolate. At 7% abv, it drinks like a guiness, and is good by itself. I dearly desire now to try and pair it with a meal and see how it handles.

All in all, from the first sip to the last drop, it was a delicious beer which I thoroughly enjoyed. Almost without effort it cracked my top ten favorite beers, maybe even my top 5. A fantastic choice, which I recommend to anyone who likes there stouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment