Thursday, November 19, 2009

More Rogue Beer!

So, Rogue is a brewing company I've been interested in trying for a while. I've heard good things about them going all the way back to college, and they have a great rep in online beer review sites. Also, they have nifty names like "Daddy's Helper", "Dead Guy", and "Shakespeare Stout".

With this in mind, I gave their Hazelnut Brown Ale a try. It poured a nice even brown, out of a formidable bomber. It smelled like most brown ales I've had before, but with more clear notes of nutty flavor. The first sip was a wash of hazelnut, with a strong undertone of earthy flavors.

There was an odd sour flavor that I'm working on processing. It made me think of slightly sour fruits, but more pure. Maybe an acidic flavor? I'm not 100% sure, but it was tasty, and emerged more as the beer had a chance to warm and breathe.

Overall a very tasty beer. Not that extreme, but a very good iteration of a nut brown ale. I can't really see it working well with anything other than bread or crackers, but luckily it's very good by itself.

Recommended if you're a fan of nut brown ales, but nothing that made me sit back and go "wow".

I have a couple bottles of wine waiting to be tried and reviewed, but it'll have to wait til next time. Til then, Cheers!

-The Unabashed Ungourmet

update: a lot of other reviewers noted some chocolate tastes; I'm thinking the sour flavor may have been bitter chocolate. It confused me because I wasn't expecting chocolate in my brown ale :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment