Friday, April 2, 2010

Series of Sam (5 of 6)

So, this week was a little less awesome than most weeks. I decided to try two different beers, one which sounded interesting, and one which I had tried before, hadn't loved, but was willing to try again.

The first beer, Black Eye Ale, is a mix of Mendocino's stout and golden ale. The beer store clerk had a decent opinion of it, but online reveiws were not so favorable. I went into this one with mixed expectations, and was sad to find out that the online crowd seemed to have it right.

Unlike a good black and tan which is all the roasted flavor of a stout or porter and all the smoothness and lightness of an ale, it was kind of heavy, with weak tastes of chocolate and wheaty flavor. Really, it's not an impossible standard either, holding it up against Yuengling's black and tan. Really, even a home made black and tan of guiness and harp was better than this. It just tasted mixed and confused, with none of the excellent parts of either. Sad. Still, at 4 bucks for a bomber, I guess I got what I paid for.

The next beer was Sam Adams new spring beer, their Nobel Pils. Now, I admit to a bit of a grudge, as I was a huge fan of their old spring seasonal, the white ale. Also, i tried this beer before, and was pretty roundly unimpressed. However, I promised to try everything in that mix pack, and this wouldn't be any different.

The beer pours a light golden with a nice small head. The smell is all hops. Sadly, the taste was all hops too. Now, this shouldn't be a surprise. The beer actively describes itself as having all five "noble hops", whatever that may mean. But really, what with me still not being a huge fan of hops, I was frustrated by the lack of other flavors. I feel like it's also a characteristic of Pilsners to be kind of boring. I might be trying to the wrong pilsners though.

It was an earthy, herbal kind of taste, but only in the sense that it tasted like hops, rounded out by a hop bitterness. With nothing to balance out the hops, I feel like this beer isn't bad for hop lover who want a beer to sip, but otherwise steer clear.

Really though, it's just my comeuppance for having so much excellent beer all the damn time. Eventually you have a bad week. Did I mention last week at the bar watching the UFC fight I got to have Resurrection on tap? I really can't complain too much. Until next time!

-The Unabashed Ungourmet

1 comment:

  1. While I was/am sad to see the white ale gone, I did enjoy the Noble Pils.

    ReplyDelete