Thursday, February 4, 2010

Not totally about beer

So. I haven't actually tried any new beers in the last 2 or so days. Shocking, right? It's okay, I'm saving myself for this weekend (Superbowl) and then this following week (trip to max's) where I will imbibe a copious amount of boozamahols.

In any case, there is a purpose here. I'm debating making beer bread. I have several likely looking Belgian beers, but I'm thinking Three Philosophers, if just because I have an expansive amount of it. Also, it is delicious, and tastes of cherries, and I think it'd be wonderful in bread.

I found a few recipes all of which look the exact same and fairly simple. The question for you all is, has anyone tried this before? If so, how was the bread - did it taste of beer, or just bread with some hints of other flavors?

Let me know your thoughts on this - If I do make it, it'll probably be so I can force my friends coming along to Max's to try it. So, what say you, the masses?

2 comments:

  1. When Will and I made beer bread we used an IPA and the bread tasted nothing like the beer we used, which is good because I hate IPAs. A lot of the flavor of beer gets overshadowed by the other ingredients or baked away along with the alcohol. Remember my Irish Cake Bombs? You couldn't really taste the Guinness in the cupcakes at all.

    I would not under any circumstances use a beer that cost more than 10 dollars a six pack for your first baking experiment. It's bad for the wallet. I would try getting a cheaper beer and testing it first. Another difficulty with Three Philosophers might be the CRAZY amount of yeast in there. Your bread might puff up like mad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did beer bread in Virgil Mike, I cant remember what beer we used but it was a left over from a mystery pack. You dont get the exact flavor of the beer as Stark said, but you can get hints of it, also it adds a quality normally found in soda bread. It was pretty good. We ate ours with stew and it went perfectly with it. If you want to enter in to the alcohol cooking arena (outside of beer brats) try a stout stew, it is good for the winter. Or you can do IPA battered fish and chips.

    ReplyDelete